Thursday, April 28, 2011

Traveling to Guatemala in June - The Planning Begins

You never know where life might lead you. At Santa Fe's Indian Market last year, I decided to spend an entire week and immerse myself in the gallery openings, artist studio parties and tons of great people-watching.

On one of the evenings I was invited to Michael Roanhorse's studio which he shares with Mateo Romero. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting both artists and chatted with a lovely woman named Linda.

Throughout the week, I kept running into Linda. We found we had many things in common, one of which was folk art and textiles. She had lovely blouses and wraps which, I found, were purchased on a trip to Guatemala. As she told me about the small trips into Guatemala and Mexico, I became intrigued.

So when the tour organizer called me last month, I seriously took stock of my time, money and interest in flying out of the country. All the thinking led to one thing.... just go!

So I have found myself planning a trip in Guatemala in June and will be traveling with Wildwood Art Cafe Tours. We'll be traveling with an expert guide, will find artisans and watch them work and just relax and savor the color and the culture. The trip begins in Guatemala City, not a very long flight at all from Houston. And, the price was right.

So I mentioned planning. I found that to use a free ticket on Southwest Airlines, I must fly in to Houston Hobby Airport. My International flight leaves from Houston Intercontinental. The airport to airport transfer, by land, will take me at least an hour and a half. I'll be writing an article about the best way to do this. There isn't much valid advice on the Internet.

So I have my flights, the tour is booked and the dilemma in Houston is soon to be solved. Next, a vist to my physician to see if any special precautions need to be taken.

1 comment: