Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blog vs. Article: Am I a travel writer? I think I am!


I recently was informed that I wasn't invited to cover an event since I was a blogger. I looked over the Internet articles I had written on the subject of the event and found that they were not first person, personal comments. So I felt they were articles and not blog entries. And, they were not from this Blog, Travel Writer Rants and Raves.

I had a look at what Wikipedia had to say on blogs and found their definition:

A blog (a portmanteau of the term web log)[1] is a personal journal published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete entries ("posts") typically displayed in reverse chronological order so the most recent post appears first. Blogs are usually the work of a single individual, occasionally of a small group, and often are themed on a single subject. Blog can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

Travel Writer Rants and Raves is my personal journal of things I have thoughts or feelings about. I use it when I want to rant about a bad experience or rave about a good one. It is truly a blog.

I also write for Internet publications and, although I allow myself some first person comments, they serve mainly to represent my "voice" and indicate my recommendations. These articles is published to provide information to the reader and not to serve as my personal journal:

Current Work

Contributing Writer, Wander With Wonder

Contributor, Bindu Itineraries, covering San Juan Islands, Olympic Peninsula, Long Beach Peninsula, Kitsap Peninsula and the Columbia Gorge.

 Contributing Writer,  Real Food Traveler

 Contributing Writer, Northwest Travel and Life Magazine

 Contributing Writer: Gallup Journey Magazine  


Please have a look and let me know if you see a difference between a blogger and a writer when it comes to Internet writing. And, am I right in assuming my articles are articles and not blog entries?

7 comments:

  1. The lines are blurred. What they really meant is that they don't think what you do is relevant for them. But it's also probable that they don't really know what you do. Do you have a professional website where you can explain what you do (beyond your blog) and shares links to your professional work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helpful comment, Caitlin. What do you think about my writing website: http://lizrose.biz/simplicity/
      Your suggestions are welcome!

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz,
    Interesting question. I think if your main method of distribution is through a blog, you are a blogger. If it is through "content" sites, you are a writer. However, bloggers are writers also, so I agree with Caitlin that the lines are blurred. And she's probably right that they don't think you have enough relevance (either through being solely online, or not having the right/biggest target market, not enough "print" recognition, etc.). I think you are a writer and I always enjoy your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lynn. I am a writer who writes content, mainly for the Internet AND I have a personal blog.. which actually is a more recent project. The writing has been going on over 10 years. The blog, not so long.

      Delete
  3. I think I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with both of your posters here. As a writer myself, both online and in print, I strongly feel you are a writer.

    As you state in your posting here, calling something a "blog", to me, signifies a more personal site, one related to more personal issues. What you do is "content writing" both on Striped Pot AND Examiner. (Didn't you do About.com as well?)

    These people missed a golden opportunity to have a quality writer covering their event and they have no one but themselves to blame due to their prejudices and aged thinking. I mean, seriously, Neala has her "blog" of Offbeat Travels. She isn't considered a blogger anymore than you should be.

    Don't let them question what it is you do. Sometimes the best revenge is moving on and living well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I appreciate your comments. (Although, I certainly have no feelings warranting "revenge!") This all has just made me think about my writing.

      Delete
  4. I agree with everyone, even those with whom I disagree. I'm not so sure "writer" means as much these days. In truth, few of us literally write, and yet, calling us "typists" would be rather misleading.
    The word "blogger" can virtually be applied to anyone who has a keyboard and who chooses to share his/her thoughts, regardless of how eloquently, on some Internet site.
    The problem is that we're living in a time when this whole electronic media thing is evolving too quickly for many to grasp.
    I've been on travel writers' press trips where some of the most respected writers/journalists/whatever were being published almost exclusively online...many on their own sites.
    And yet, I still meet many people who think if you're web only, you're not really being published.
    I just keep rambling here, hoping I'll come up with some pithy conclusion that makes this whole thing make sense. I haven't.

    ReplyDelete