Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Solving the mystery of Mo's on the Oregon Coast



For years I had heard about Mo's. I heard about their chowder and I heard about their fish combo dinners. But most of all I heard that people who moved away from Oregon couldn't wait to get back to Mo's. During a getaway to Lincoln City and the Siletz Bay, the mystery was solved. I finally understood people's obsession with Mo's.

I went over to Mo's for a late dinner after checking in at the Looking Glass Inn across the street. Mo's had booths all along the windows so I could enjoy views of the bay. That evening I had the special and added a cup of chowder just because of all the buzz.

The food was traditional fried seafood and was excellent. The coleslaw arrived with a huge pile of shrimp decorating it. But what surprised me was the chowder. It was creamy like most chowders but it had a decidedly bacon flavor. I found out they do put bacon into their chowder. Here's the recipe. It was the best clam chowder I had ever tasted. I was certain the clams were local. They didn't have that "clammy" taste at all. 

As I savored the dinner, the staff stopped by to chat. They are friendly at Mo's.

Mo's is a family owned restaurant that has been around since 1946.  They have two restaurants in Lincoln City. You'll find the original restaurant just to the south, in Newport.

Mo's has much more than chowder and fried fish. They offer burgers, salads, bouillabaisse, fish tacos, pastas and deserts like Marionberry Cobbler.

Mo's is so Oregon Coast and I am so hooked!

Mo's Locations
Newport
Original Mo's
622 SW Bay Blvd.
541-265-2979
Newport
Mo's Annex
657 SW Bay Blvd.
541-265-7512
Otter Rock
122 1st Street
(open seasonally)
541-765-2442
Lincoln City
860 SW 51st Street
541-996-2535
Cannon Beach
195 Warren Way
Tolovana Park
503-436-1111
Florence
1436 Bay Street
541-997-2185

4 comments:

  1. Love clam chowder but I doubt I've had it with bacon. Will have to try that next time.
    Thanks for linking up this week, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seafood, yum, love anything from the ocean and I'm sure the chowder there is excellent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a neat place.
    P.S. You made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mo's looks like a fun spot with great food. All that plus a friendly staff? A real gem.

    ReplyDelete