Sunday, June 30, 2013

Arriving in Skidegate from Prince Rupert: The beauty of a Haida Gwaii Morning

Haida Heritage Centre Totem Pole
Haida Heritage Centre
(photo copyright Elizabeth R Rose Photography)
One of the most memorable moments from my Haida Gwaii adventure was arriving via overnight BC Ferry to Skidegate. After a night of tossing and turning on a bunk in the cabin, I was pleased to see the dawn and anticipated the landing.

Once we disembarked, we had to wait for the Skidegate to Sandspit ferry so did a little local touring. It was early morning and the mist still hung in the trees. My first visit to the Haida Heritage Center took place when the museum was still closed. But a brief walk along the water and a view of a Haida Totem Pole in low light remains imprinted in my mind.

The early view of this totem brought me back to the history of the Haida. It was easy to imagine the people coming from their long houses down to the shore, perhaps to meet some visiting people in a canoe. Or perhaps it was a morning when only the sounds of eagles singing could be heard.

As the water lapped the shore, I took this photo. I have returned to "the world," but the peace of this first landing in Haida Gwaii remains in my memory and in my heart.

You can purchase prints of this photo online.

No comments:

Post a Comment