Saturday, January 11, 2014

Noteworthy Restrooms: The Wash, Dry and Fluff Toilet



A toilet with a control panel.
Photo Credit: Irene S. Levine
When visiting Napa Valley, California, we booked a room at a green hotel, the Hotel Bardessono, which has received LEED platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. One evening, we were dining in the hotel restaurant and I had the occasion to use the public restroom in the lobby. 

After I entered one of several cubicles arranged in a semicircle in the unisex bathroom, I closed the door to my stall. 

I was blown away when I saw a control panel on the wall. It looked like it could launch a rocket ship and was far more complicated than the thermostat in my home. 

This was the first time I encountered a multipurpose toilet/personal cleansing system called the Toto Neorest 500 that washed, dried and fluffed. The seat was heated and cleaned itself, and the water temperature was adjustable. Needless to say, I fell in love with this Toto toilet and made sure my husband had the opportunity to “experience” it, too. Subsequently, I learned that the units are very popular in Japan.

Guest Writer Irene S. Levine is an award-winning travel and lifestyle writer who is a member of the Society of American Travel Writers. Her blog, MoreTimeToTravel.com offers advice and inspiration for travelers over 50

No comments:

Post a Comment